Apply Now

Workplace Rights For International Students

Workplace Rights of International Students

Like many international students, you may get a part-time or casual job to help pay your living expenses while you study in Australia. It is important that you know your rights in the workplace. All people working in Australia have basic rights and protections in the workplace, including minimum pay and conditions.

The Fair Work Ombudsman makes sure that these rights are protected and enforced fairly under Australia’s workplace laws. This fact sheet  (Fair Work) will help you understand your basic workplace rights, where to obtain further information, and how to seek assistance from the Fair Work Ombudsman.

For more information, contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 or visit

As an international student working in Australia, you have the same protections as any Australian in the workplace. Here are some things you need to know.

  • Your pay: Australia has a minimum wage. You must be paid at least this amount – it’s the law!
  • Paying tax: If you’re working in Australia, you might need to pay tax depending on how much you earn. Get a Tax File Number (TFN) before starting work. Give your TFN to your boss to make sure you do not pay more tax than you should. Only apply for a TFN once – it is yours for life!
  • Payslips: In Australia, you must get a payslip within one working day of getting paid. Normally, workers get paid weekly, fortnightly (every two weeks) or monthly. The payslip is an important document.
  • Work hours: Remember – as an international student you can work up to 40 hours every two weeks during term time, and unlimited hours during your holiday breaks. It is important you keep to this limit – it is what you agreed to when you were given your student visa.
  • Casual work: In Australia, you will find many casual roles. In casual work, you don’t have a fixed number of hours every week. This means you can manage your own time better.

Download the fact sheet and checklist (Getting ready to work in Australia) to help you get ready to work while you study.

Skip to content